Fires in Las Vegas homes can be quite commonplace, especially since residents of these homes are living in one of the driest areas in the United States. As a Vegas resident, it’s crucial for you to be familiar with common fire causes and where these can usually happen at home. Although your home may appear safe to you on the outside, it’s entirely possible to still succumb to accidents especially if you haven’t fire-proofed your home.

Where do fires start at home, exactly? Read on to find out!

Kitchen

This is the most common answer, and for all the reasons you would expect. Many household appliances are housed in the kitchen, and it’s fairly easy to get distracted while cooking, too! It’s tempting to check your phone, check on the kids, or simply chill out in another part of the house while cooking, but that doesn’t mean you should indulge yourself.

Keep easy, combustible items always away from your stove, and never take your eyes off your cooking! If you absolutely need to be somewhere else, someone trusted at home should oversee your cooking for you first.

Garage

Garages these days serve multiple functions, and they aren’t just limited to storing vehicles like cars, motorcycles, and even bicycles. They can be home to many combustible items if you use them as a storage area or a spare workshop area. These items include, but aren’t limited to, oils, cleaning products, and gas canisters. A simple mistake while working in the garage could lead to a serious fire.

To prevent this from happening, consider placing a fire extinguisher within arms’ reach in your garage. While you’re at it, take your time to label each flammable object carefully and make sure they’re properly stored.

Living Room

If your housemates or family hang out in the living room most of the time, you have to make sure that they’re familiar with protocols in case of a fire. Some flammable living room objects include the couch, carpeting, pillows, and blankets. Electronics, heating equipment, fireplaces, and candles can also be the unwitting cause of accidents if left unattended.

Bearing this in mind, all the people you live with should consciously unplug electronics when they’re not in use. Fireplaces and candles should never be left burning when no one can immediately attend to them, either.

And Christmas trees? Unplug those pretty lights when not in use!

Chimney

East Grays Harbor and Fire Rescue assume that six percent of all fires start at the chimney. Want to know why? Most households don’t bother to have them cleaned, and all that sap and ash can pile up due to months, or maybe years of constant use. If you own a chimney, it pays to know how to do a scape test to see if it needs to be cleaned.

Here are the steps to take:

  • Open your flue.
  • Make sure you’re wearing protective goggles.
  • Grab your flashlight.
  • Shine a light up your chimney.
  • Scrape it with a sharp object.
  • If residue is ⅛ inches thick, schedule a cleaning ASAP.
  • If residue is closer to ¼ inches thick, don’t light your chimney until a professional gets to clean it.

Bedrooms

Everyone in your home should have easy access to a fire extinguisher in case of a fire in the bedroom. Train even children inside the home to use a fire extinguisher effectively and escape easily to your nearest fire escape. Most fires that happen in bedrooms are due to residents being asleep or inattentive, so everyone needs to know what to do in case of an emergency.

Hire Us Today For Your Fire Protection Needs!

Need a fire alarm installation company you can trust in Las Vegas? Signal Fire is equipped with business and commercial-grade fire alarm installations we can easily offer for your home. Our services include inspection, design and installation, all the way down to monitoring services, so you won’t have to worry about how to operate your fire alarm system. We can easily guide you through the process so your entire household is aware!

To avail, visit our website to request a quote, or you can call us now at (877) – 577 – 7495 for your alarm system.